Tuesday, May 18, 2010

When The Going Gets Tough....

...The Tough Get Going!

This is lesson number 2 of Learning to Love what's GOOD! None of us are promised a life sans problems, tests, and difficulties. However, we can overcome, conquer, and breakthrough all that life throws at us, or all that we throw at ourselves. (This one is gonna be a little long)

I learned a lesson in this very thing while trying to arrange my schedule to 'fit in' my workout routine. The more I examined my schedule, the more I realized I had slim to no time available to add in anything, let alone something I really didn't want to do! This was a problem. I couldn't forge ahead on my resolution if I didn't begin my workout regimen, but I simply couldn't find the time to add it in; or so I thought.

In comes the test. I was testing myself to see how serious I was about this whole 'Learning to Love what's GOOD regime. If I was serious, then things would HAVE TO CHANGE, but if I wasn't, then nothing needed to change as I was already set up for failure. It was at this point that I remembered the definition of insanity; doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. Subsequently, if I'm being honest, when it comes to my health I have been quite insane for quite sometime. Realizing this, I decided this was a test I was going to pass!

In comes the difficult part- changing my schedule...aka...waking up at 4:30am five days a week!!! WHAT???!!!!??? I know, I know, it sounded crazy the second it came out of my mouth! Regardless, I determined that I was going to give it a shot. I woke up, got all my things together, and headed out the door by 5:15am! I drove to the YMCA, met up with my work out buddy and did my first spin class! I completed my class and went to the locker room to shower and get ready for work (which is a matter that deserves a complete entry of its own), then drove to my job where I worked my usual ten hour shift. On day one, I was so exhausted I was in bed before 9pm. This was quite a change since I'm a night owl, and usually don't fall asleep prior to 1:00am. If I thought all of that was difficult, I was kidding myself, the real difficulty came on day 2 at 4:30am when my alarm was screaming at me to wake up and hit the gym, again. But just as I made it through day one, I made it through day two, and so on and so forth.

I took it one day at a time and now my workout routine is an integral part of my day; it is a perfect fit! Additionally, the benefits are amazing! I get at least 7 hours of sleep a night and I am dreaming again (I used to function on 4 or less), I have more energy and stamina through the day, and I'm actually hungry in the morning (I was never a breakfast eater)-now that's GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment